Saturday, June 26, 2004

The Winemaker's Daughter by Timothy Egan - Or Visiting Virginia's Vineyard



On June 23rd, David and I left for a vacation without kids. Our first destination was Floyd Virginia, home of the Friday Night Jamboree at the Floyd Hardware store. While in Floyd, we stayed at the Ambrosia Farms Bed and Breakfast, a lovely old house with a huge front porch complete with a porch swing piled with denim pillows. I had brought along several books, but chose The Winemakers Daughter by Timothy Egan. Egan won a Pulitzer Prize for his nonfiction. This book is one I had taken out from the library earlier in the year and started reading. I had made a mental note to finish it sometime and this was the time because part of the allure of the Floyd area and the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains is the wineries. While in Floyd we visited three - AmRhein, Villa Appalachia and Chateau Morrisette. Back to the book, it is about a woman who returns to her aging father's vineyards, which are suffering because of a draught. I learned alot about winemaking - enough that I began recommending the book to some of the owners of the vineyards we visited. And the book was a great vacation read. My only criticism - too many little tragedies.

1 comment:

Maddie said...

I just got back from Ambrosia Farms. Lovely place, isn't it?