Saturday, June 19, 2004

The Seduction of Water by Carol Goodman



This is a book I was drawn to at one of my early summer trips to the library. I had already read The Weight of Water and The Color of Water, and thought another book with such a similar title was worth checking out. I started reading The Seduction of Water Carol Goodman's on Father's Day and read most of it in a lawn chair that day. The main character is an English professor, so that strand of the story was intriguing. But also, she was using legends as writing prompts with her students and the story revolves around a Irish tale of the Selkie --- a sort of a "woman in seal's clothing" type creature who abandons her human children and husband to return to a life in the sea. The novel is something of a mystery and moves quickly with lots of climaxes. I really enjoyed it.

No comments: