Saturday, August 01, 2009

Wise Blood by Flannery O'Connor


Having traveled to Flannery O'Connor's Andalusia Farm in Milledgeville, Georgia, and since Wise Blood was listed on the Free Response AP Literature and Composition book list, I decided to give it a try. I was a bit curious since, when I told the curator of the O'Connor property that the book was listed on this year's test, his response was -
"I can't imagine any state allowing the teaching of that book. Not here in the South!" Well all of O'Connor's typical freak show of characters are present in this amorally religious, Southern Gothic novel. I've have decided I'll definitely never teach it, but we did buy the John Huston film to watch someday. My favorite O'Connor quote - “WHENEVER I’M ASKED WHY SOUTHERN WRITERS PARTICULARLY HAVE A PENCHANT FOR WRITING ABOUT FREAKS, I SAY IT IS BECAUSE WE ARE STILL ABLE TO RECOGNIZE ONE.”

For other glimpses into our travels this summer -

www.lackeysroadtrip.tumblr.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi there dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that particular make. The prices seeking the sneakers are about 170 dollars on every page. But for all I base this location selling them for the benefit of half price. I exceptionally like these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order them. what is your opinion?