Saturday, July 28, 2007

I Love You, Beth Cooper by Larry Doyle


I would not have ever discovered this book had it not been reviewed in a New York Times Book Review titled "Beauty and the Geek" - and that would have been the loss of the summer. Maybe because I have lived with teenage boys, or maybe because I have taught high school for 25 years, I laughed the whole way through the book. Larry Doyle has written for The Simpsons and Beavis and Butthead. His protagonist, Dennis Cooverman, is a Valedictorian geek who pronounces his love for the beautiful Beth Cooper in his commencement address. This leads to one night of comically exaggerated misadventures that are chronicled in the artistic renderings of Dennis Cooverman's face that precede each chapter. See for yourself at the hysterical website for the book - iloveyoubethcooper.com. Every summer should include a book this crazy.

No comments: