Friday, July 15, 2005

Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill by Mark Bittner


I found this book at the historic City Lights bookstore in San Francisco and then later that day walked down Greenwich Street from Coit Tower - the very street where Bittner lived as he was observing these wild parrots. The book caught my eye because it has an emblem on the cover See the Movie, Read the Book. Although I had not heard of either before that day, I found the movie playing in a theatre in Haight Ashbury the next day and really wish I had taken the time out of our trip to see it. It seems the only was I can see the film in Cleveland is one day only at the Cleveland Cinematique at the Cleveland Institute of Art. Bittner's tale is full of detailed (almost too much so) descriptions of every parrot that he named and watched. But I loved the connections to Gary Snyder and the zen of being at one with nature. I finished the book on the red eye home from the trip. It is my summer California book

No comments: