Sunday, February 13, 2005

The Piano Teacher by Elfriede Jelinek


Oh my - oh my. This book was disturbing in a Lolita-sort of way. I thought I ought to read something by the latest Nobel Prize winner and since I had seen the cover of the video several times in the aisle at Blockbuster, I knew I should read the book before I rented the movie. I began reading the book on Friday night and finished it in almost a single sitting on Saturday, then watched the movie Saturday night. It is a very compelling, yet disturbing story about a sexually repressed piano teacher who lives alone with her stern mother. When a young male student falls in love with her, she places sadistic and unusual demands on him as a lover until their romance careens out of control in the end. I felt slimy after a day of this, but I have to say the writing was lovely. Metaphor upon metaphor upon metaphor.

No comments: