Friday, December 03, 2004

The Usual Rules by Joych Maynard



I liked this novel so much better than I thought I would. I bought it at the National Council of Teachers of English National Conference in Indianapolis. Joyce Maynard was at the conference signing copies of her book, which has a 13 year old protagonist whose mother was killed in the attacks on September 11th. The story revolves around the way she reshapes her life and definitions of family. She leaves her stepdad and brother in New York to live for a time with her father in California. I love the way Maynard weaves titles of books into the novel. By the way, Maynard lived for a short time with novelist, J.D. Salinger when she was a teenager and he was in his 50s. She has a great website with links to information about her life.

No comments: