Tuesday, September 21, 2004

Desire by Lindsay Ahl



This is a book that I ordered from the library very early in the summer after reading a review of it in some publication. I had almost forgotten about the book when it can in at the library. What a surprise - as I am teaching Heart of Darkness, I am surprised with a new novel set in 1975 in Kenya. Against the back drop of the ivory black market, a woman revisits her youth to solve a mystery that has kept her mind in the past. I liked the book alot. Very poetic sentences. There is a page of facts I will use in class about how many pounds of ivory were needed to make piano keys. I had never put pianos into the ivory equation. It is chilling.

I am also intrigued by the publishing company, Coffee House Press, which is a nonprofit outfit that takes submissions. Again, I should be writing a novel instead of reading so many of them.

No comments: